Call for Proposals
Mind the Gap (MTG) explores the ways in which artists can navigate the pitfalls of the current socio-political climate, particularly through their roles as cultural brokers, provocateurs, and facilitators of a reflective practice, while paying consideration to the challenges presented by an era of persistent disengagement, isolation, alienation and Balkanization
MTG will pose the following questions:
- What role, if any, can art effectively adopt in response to the dynamics outlined above?
- Do the prevailing social (political, economic, educational) and cultural (internalized norms, taboos, values, attitudes, beliefs) conventions that frame the presentation and production of art influence this discourse? If so, how should they be addressed?
MTG does not espouse an explicit political agenda, nor does it advocate for a singular solution. However, it does contend that the current environment requires an urgent, critical, and imaginative response. To support this claim, Art Tooth is excited to introduce this dialogue as a call for microgrant proposals in correlation with a survey conducted at 500X Gallery opening on Saturday, March 18th. Local artists are encouraged to submit an application for review by midnight April 3, 2017. Grantee winners will be announced during a live panel on May 13, 2017 at Fort Worth Contemporary Arts from 1PM - 3PM.
This call is open to proposals of 500 words or less that include up to 5 digital images or videos (of existing work or mockups) that respond to the questions outlined above by artists, collectives, curators, writers and other cultural producers who reside in North Texas. These proposals can include (but are not limited to) the development, completion or presentation of new or existing work in any discipline for any amount up to the total micro-grant funds of $5000.
Criteria for Eligibility
Eligible artists must be over 18 years of age and currently reside in North Texas (Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Erath, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Navarro, Palo Pinto, Parker, Rockwall, Somervell, Tarrant, Wise counties).
Individuals and collectives may only apply once. Groups and collectives must list all active members in their application.
Members of Art Tooth and Mind the Gap panelists are ineligible to apply.
Awards and Evaluation Criteria
Artists can apply for sums up to $5,000. Proposals will be reviewed by an artist panel comprised of MTG participants Darryl Radcliff, William Sarradet, Terri Thornton, Giovanni Valderas, and Carol Zou. The panel of jurors will have complete discretion on the evaluation criteria for the award(s), amount awarded and number of awards.
How to Apply
Please prepare the following for submission and complete the application through the Submittable portal:
- Biography and/or artist statement (up to 250 words)
- Proposal description (up to 500 words)
- Current CV or resume
- 5 (five) digital files to serve as supporting materials (Photographs, renderings, sketches, prototypes, a project website, or video link)
- Proof of residence (copy of ID and/or other proof of residence)
- $3 (three) submission fee*
- Optional materials (artist website, portfolio, budget document)
*Fee covers Submittable hosting costs. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if this is an impediment to your submission.
- Microgrant call opens: Saturday, March 18
- Exhibition opening at 500X: Saturday, March 18
- Exhibition closing at 500X: Sunday, April 2
- Microgrant call close: Saturday, April 15
- Artist panel & award announcements at Fort Worth Contemporary Arts: Saturday, May 13
- Awards distributed: Saturday, May 27